Thursday, September 20, 2007

    An Old Friend Returns

    I just found out that my favorite magazine in the world is being brought back from the dead! It was out of print for almost 5 years and nothing has ever replaced it. I had to write a letter to the editor I was so tickled. If you are a fan of Martha Stewart or similar magazines, do yourself a favor and subscribe!
    Dear Victoria,

    Welcome back! You have no idea how much I have missed you! I just want to tell you where I am now and what an influence you have been in my life.

    When I turned 13, my Grandmother asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I told her that I wanted a subscription to Victoria Magazine. Odd request for a 13 year old girl, but then again, I grew up on a diet of Anne of Greene Gables and Pride and Prejudice. Every month when you arrived I would take a 2 hour bubble bath and pore over each page, article, and picture. Grandma remembered to renew my subscription every February for the next 7 years.

    Constantly inspired, I crafted, sewed, embroidered, designed costumes, arranged flowers, hosted tea parties, and redecorated my room in true 'Victoria style'. My mom gave me free reign and even let me decorate a large portion of the house. My friends humored my nerdiness!

    Although I loved everything in each issue, I especially loved the stories of women entrepreneurs who had fabulous careers running flower or antique shops or designing clothes. I always knew that someday I would own my own business.

    Now that I am in my late 20's, I am working on building my own company. I am a wedding and event coordinator and designer in Los Angeles and in the spring of 2008 I am officially launching "Amber Events". My portfolio is steadily growing, and soon I will be one of those fabulous women entrepreneurs that I admired so much.

    My brides enjoy my dramatic and sometimes over the top ideas and designs, and I truly believe that my creations are a result of our 7 year relationship. I'm so glad you are back-- I'm looking forward to our monthly 'dates'!

    Yours Very Truly,
    Amber Gustafson

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    I cannot tell you how many boxes decoupage boxes I have covered with clippings from my monthly subscription. I loved it and looked forward to it every month. I will have to look in to renewing