Thursday, November 1, 2007

    Videography (also titled "should we or shouldn't we?")

    I have no idea how have I been asked, "Do we really need a videographer? I mean, we are already spending sooooo much money on photography and I just don't like cheesy wedding videos!"

    My answer is always "YES. Yes you do need a video of your wedding". I never really had a concrete answer why I felt so strongly, but now I do. I'll explain.

    I am a member of the Association of Bridal Consultants (ABC) and am extremely lucky to have such an active chapter in Los Angeles. Every other month we have a workshop on one aspect of being a wedding vendor from vendor relations to marketing and networking. Last month our topic was on Videography and truth be told, it sounded a tad boring, but I "had" to go as I missed our meeting the month before since I was traveling in Turkey & Greece (that's another blog). I am truly glad I went. Not only did I learn a lot about the technology side of videography and see some beautiful work from our 4 panelists, I have my answer to WHY you need a video.

    Quoted by veteran event coordinator Carol Rosen: "You are going to watch your wedding video a few times, as will your parents, but it will be worn out by YOUR FUTURE CHILDREN"

    How right she is. What a priceless gift it would be to be able to experience my parent's or grandparents weddings! Thankfully, pictures can suffice for myself, but thankfully, I have a video to give to my future children. I just hope they'll forgive the cheesy wedding bell border at the intro!!

    1 comment:

    Gatherings said...

    You hit on a great point-and important way to guide people toward making a good decision.

    Since we have gone through beta to vhs to dvd, I think also that it is helpful to advise people to convert the movie to the latest technology as years pass keep the movie assessable.